Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Hope and Love

"It's not a song about money it's a song about love and hope."

So I was listening to a song by "Everclear"  called I Will Buy You a New Life   on Youtube Art Alexakis, said, "It's not a song about money, it's a song about love and hope."  I love to turn this song up LOUD and sing along.  I know the lyrics, but I never thought about it that way.  Love and Hope...but its true. 

When I was first married (almost 18 years ago!) to the Husband, I remember my mother saying his biggest fault was that he wanted to buy me the moon and put a fence around it.  She meant it as a good thing, mostly. I don't think she actually believed he would try to buy the moon (or buy me a star for naming rights) but that he wanted to shower me with gifts to show me his love. 

My mother, even without reading The Five Love Languages, saw that his love language was gifts.  I have written about my inability to recognize this more than once.  Sadly, mine is not so I did not pick up on it for a long time.  Don't get me wrong, I love to buy gifts, I just don't always accept them well.  Ironically, I self-identify my love language as words of affirmation but I struggle with accepting compliments too.  (Why yes, I am a mess, thank you for asking? ;) )

We have a lot of love and hope in our home.  Except when we don't.  Sometimes when enough plans go awry, when enough things break at the same time, when the weight of enough unrealized dreams feel suffocating I need to remember the love and hope of the moon with a fence around it, the new car, perfect shiny and new...

Or that there is at least that desire to do those things.  It isn't always easy to remember.  I am getting old though. :D

Hope and Love.  Gotta have Hope and Love. When it feels like hope is fading I try to find the silver lining.  My cup half empty personality isn't always successful and when the cup half full husband struggles, it's a sad day.  Usually, looking at the faces of the kids is enough to remind us what is really important.

-Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment