Monday, September 5, 2011

Sufficient...

Yesterday I was talking on the phone with a friend, one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet.  He is going through some stuff and he said to me, "I just keep going back to Paul asking God three times to take the thorn from his flesh and the Lord responds, My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. "

I needed to hear that.  I believe it is true.  That does not mean I have to like it. 

Call me stubborn.  Call me sinful.  Call me human. It's true in the same way that 2 Corinthians 12:8-9 is true.

Stubborn as I am, I argue with the verse, "I won't boast, or become conceited or take any blessings for granted, honest!  But a little relief would be very nice right about now, God!"  My grace is sufficient for you, my power is made perfect in weakness.

But, why does it feel like things fall apart or fail to come together?  What am I doing wrong? My grace is sufficient for you, my power is made perfect in weakness.

I can't do this anymore, it's too hard.  My grace is sufficient for you, my power is made perfect in weakness.

His power is made perfect in my weakness.  When I am able to put myself aside, let go of it and admit my weakness, God's power can and does shine through. I see it time and time again, in all sorts of ways, but sometimes  grit my teeth and bear the deviations with my plans with resignation, looking for ways to save face.

And I am reminded that resignation is a poor response to grace.  Grace that saves and heals and comforts and gives life should not be greeted with resignation.  Paul, in 2 Corinthians 12:10 says, "That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties.  For when I am weak, then I am strong." 

Perhaps saving face is boastful?  Perhaps when I try to maintain my own pride, I am not owning my weakness?  Perhaps, in order to for my weakness to bear out His strength, I need to lose the brave face and the protective covering and just let go.  Let go and let God.

My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.

-Peace

1 comment:

  1. Amen Amen Amen.
    Again.. words I needed to hear..and in just the fashion that gets through my thick stubborn head and heart. Thank You my friend.

    ReplyDelete