Monday, May 16, 2011

Sew Fun..

Aren't I punny. Or maybe I'm punchy because I'm tired.

Either way, I broke in my Mother's Day gift tonight. Want to guess what I got? A sewing machine. I have wanted one for a long time and this is the second time the Husband has bought me one. The first time was for Christmas in 2008, but I made him return it because I stink at accepting gifts and I said we couldn't afford it. (How gracious am I? Obviously, not very! What a horrible example for the kids. Not one of my glowing mother moments.)

Anyway...I decided my first project would be something super easy as the last time a sewing machine and I were on speaking terms, I was in eighth grade. I found instructions online for making cloth napkins and we need some new ones and it's all straight lines so a no-brainer. I went to the fabric store to buy fabric and while I came home without napkin making supplies, I have fabric and a pattern for a cutie patootie dress for Miss M.

I was disappointed that I hadn't found any fabric suitable, read cheap enough, for the napkins. Then this afternoon, my frugal self happened to notice some old tablecloths too small for our two-leaves-so-all-8-fit table on the shelf by the washer. I cut and pressed and pinned and then I set up my new toy and even read the manual...

In a little over an hour I sewed two whole napkins. Pathetic? You bet. The bobbin thread keeps getting tangled up and causing some issues. I am proud to report that while I did get a little frustrated every time I had to stop sewing my sort of straight lines and cut the thread and get it going again I did not have a hissy. I am going to have to google some troubleshooting tips because the manual wasn't helpful. I'm sure it's operator error and when I figure it out I will be able to make that dress. I am happy to report that working with the sewing machine is like riding a bike, except for the annoying bobbin issue.

I am so thankful the Husband was willing to buy me a gift at all with how I acted back when and equally thrilled to be nurturing a new skill. I don't have to be a pro to enjoy the process. I love trying new things, do you?

-Peace

2 comments:

  1. I do enjoy learning new things, as long as there is no pressure to perform. If I start to feel anxious because it's not being done "right" then I start to make mistakes and get frustrated and want to quit.
    Which is probably why I have never signed up for any of the sewing classes that have been offered in my area(s). I can do a basic hand stitch and replace a button. To use a machine would be like performing surgery. I wouldn't even know where to begin. I hope you share a picture of the dress when it's finished. I'm sure it's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a sewing machine recently. I wanted it just so I could do a few simple-- emphasis on simple-- projects. Your description made me laugh. Oh so familar frustrations!

    ReplyDelete