Thursday, August 18, 2011

Expectations May Not Match Reality....

I found this adorable fabric at Joanns the other day.


It screamed at me from the shelf, "Make Miss M a dress from ME!"  Okay, it didn't really scream, that would be a totally different problem.  But I was looking for fabric with apples to make her an apple picking outfit, because one must have an outfit for picking apples.  (It's my first girl, cut me some slack. ;) )  Alas, I have been unable to find apple fabric suitable for the image in my mind.  I'm picky like that.

Anyway, now I have this fabric and I have some idea of how I want the dress to look.  Not all one fabric, kind of bohemian, a little patchworky.  (I need some coordinating fabrics.  Shucks, I must go back to Joanns.  ;)  ) I found some patterns that sort of resemble what I want. (pinkfigpatterns.com) but not exactly because a fall dress in my neck of the woods usually means long sleeves. 

There is another issue.  I am not an expert seamstress.  I mean, I can follow a pattern but I haven't perfected things yet.  (This is why knitting is so nice, you just rip it out and start over, no cutting out etc.). There is a part of me wondering if I should even try to make the dress in my mind's eye for Miss M.  It very well may look like something a 10 year-old made for her doll. (And I'm not talking a gifted 10 year-old, I'm talking me at age 10. : D)  In my mind, it does not look like that, it looks adorable and perfect and like something I would proudly (pride may be a problem) dress her in for church. :)  What if it turns out looking like Cinderella's castoff?  That's time and money and well, pride. :O.

Only time will tell.  A lesson I've heard it from my builder brother my whole life was reinforced yesterday.  "Measure twice, cut once."  Apparently, I mismeasured Miss M because the adorable circle skirt will fit her next fall or maybe the one after that.  The good news is, at just under a year, I could have sworn her waist measured 17"...apparently it's considerably less.

I could write a whole bunch about how God has a pattern for our life and no matter how we muck with it, He will use it for good.  I do believe that.  I also believe that trying to make the dress is the most important part because it's about the journey and the process not only the destination or the final product.  I just want the product to be wearable (and cute and to match my expectations.)  Just sayin'. 

-Peace

3 comments:

  1. You'll be fine! She will love it because you made it and the best part will be the apples. Kids remember the darndest things. Have fun sewing. I hope you post a picture of how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about making a jumper with the bohemian, patchworky feel and putting it over a turtleneck so you don't have to deal with sleeves but it is still fall appropriate? Is it just as hard to make a sleeveless as sleeves? I don't sew so I have no frame of reference. But I do have some papers that will coordinate with that fabric for a layout of apple picking. Shall I send them your way??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! I did buy a jumper pattern this weekend. This fabric will not be her apple picking outfit, I have something else planned for that. No, seriously, I do, and I bought that fabric already. The Husband has called it a addiction. :D he bought me the sewing machine, so does that make him an enabler? ;)

    ReplyDelete