Friday, April 23, 2010

New Day, New Attitude

Today is Friday. The last weekday of the boys' break. I wish I could say we've gone on adventures each day. I wish I could say I played games and laughed and was silly with them. Instead, this morning, I feel as though I have another week of wasted opportunities.

Fortunately, today is a new day. Hopefully once everyone is awake, I can embrace the day, take a deep breath and do something fun with my guys.

Yesterday, I was crabby. The day started off poorly when the Husband and I had words because I felt his tone was dismissive when I was trying to discuss something. That annoyance carried over through my day and I was snappish with the boys. (Another opportunity to apologize and ask forgiveness.)

After dinner *N* had baseball practice at 6 and *E* had practice at 6:45 at a different park so we had to split up. I took *N*, *C* and *I* came with me. *C* had designs on the playground but it was soooo crowded and I admit I get so stressed out over playground politics that I try to avoid crowded playgrounds. (I'm sure this hasn't helped our week go smoothly, they've been asking to go to a playground all week) Fortunately, this park has beautiful walking trails through the woods and *C* is my nature guy so we took a walk instead.

What a GREAT idea! We had the best time. We talked and saw squirrels and chipmunks and a hawk. *C* stopped us with his fingers to his lips...we could hear a woodpecker! My observant boy pointed out all sorts of interesting things. I didn't have my camera so I let him use my phone to take pictures. (I thought of getting him a camera for Christmas last year..it's definitely on the list for next year.) *I* loved it too and was very chatty about all that he saw.

This walk soothed my soul. I was feeling so frazzled and cranky and really taking all my blessings for granted, choosing instead, to focus on the worries, the "what ifs" and the irritations. Not a good way to walk through life. I definitely was not showing trust, faith or a cheerful spirit. Not a good example AT ALL.

Emerging from the woods was like a transformation. I felt like a new woman. The whole evening went better.

I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to spend some quiet time with *C* and *I*. I am so thankful that I was able to immerse myself in the beauty of creation. Yesterday is history. I cannot go back in time and erase the snapping. I can remember the happiness though. And today...today I can resolve to have an adventure and embrace the day with a positive attitude. Maybe I'll even feel brave enough to go to a playground. (Maybe....... or maybe we can take a nice walk through the woods.)

-Peace

3 comments:

  1. There is nothing like getting outside in God's world to soothe the savage beast that lives inside us all. I don't like crowds either and feel so disconnected when I have to be in them. Luckily (or not depending on how you look at it) The Youngun doesn't like people any more than me and her Daddy do, so we avoid crowded areas. It sounds like you and your boys had a lovely time and I'm glad you got a spiritual recharge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your self-awareness and your ability to start fresh on a new day. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many times I wish I could have gone back and taken back my words. But how wonderful to finally be able to learn from them and try to do better in the future. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete