Saturday, June 26, 2010

Planks and Specks and a Thankful Spirit.

I've been thinking a lot about having a thankful spirit.

I know that's usually something that comes up in November ;), but it's been on my mind lately.

It's kind of a Biblical thing to be thankful even in times of trial, to praise God through the hard times as well as in the good times. I know that can be easier said than done. BUT when things go wrong, I don't find myself turning from God or blaming God, instead, I recognize that God is walking with me through it all and I am thankful.

Now, when I'm dealing with people, sometimes it's far easier to see what they're doing that displeases me than what I can be thankful for. It's easy to focus on how human beings are human.

I admit I do this. Yet, when I see others taking things for granted it annoys me to no end. It gets all my self-righteous "Do you even hear yourself?!" going. I start thinking, "How self-centered can you be?" But I bite my tongue and sit on my hands because I'm trying not to be confrontational.

I don't want to be confrontational AND I realize that as Jesus said in Matthew 7, I need to worry about the plank in my own eye before worrying about the speck in another's.

Because after all, isn't it the things we dislike about ourselves that bother us most about others?

So the next time I'm feeling annoyed because someone doesn't do something in a way most convenient to me, I will remember that it isn't always all about me. I will remember that just because I feel inconvenienced, it doesn't mean that I have been purposely slighted. Maybe it means there are particularities I am unaware of.

I will be thankful for the relationships and the spirit in which things are done. I will remember that it's the thought that counts and that it's not always going to follow my thought process, but that is OK, understandable even. Because after all, we are all unique humans.

Praying that we all can find peace with those who might not always think as we do and still remember to be thankful for what they add to our lives.

-Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment