Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Little Boxes...

Are you in the box? Or out of the box?

When faced with a problem, which way do you go? Do you think inside the box or can you think creatively AND solve the issue?

I've been thinking about this lately as I've been trying to puzzle through some things and I know I've been thinking inside the box.

My son *C* is very good at thinking outside the box. He is by far the most creative thinker in the family. I pray that he can find the balance between creativity and feasibility without losing that sparkle. I hope we're showing him exactly how special we think that sparkle is. (Sometimes I get caught up in reality and don't have time to hear the detailed explanations. I need to be better about active listening.)

I've written before that my guys seem very good at solving problems to get to what they desire. I thought about it again this morning as we're constantly re-upping our efforts to keep the not-quite-3-year-old safe...from himself. No easy task, let me tell you. But at a few days shy of 3, personal risk isn't really something he thinks about.

So I got to thinking about how as much as I want to think outside the box, the risks involved are scary. I guess I equate thinking outside the box with risk because let's face it, without those nice safe box walls to keep me safe....what might happen?

Besides, we've taken those kinds of risks in the past, but it doesn't always hit the mark and I'm getting too old for missing the pool when I leap off the high dive, know what I mean?

Maybe it's age that's getting to me. Maybe it's having a few too many misses. Maybe it's just wanting to know what will happen, and when you take a risk..it's like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates, "You never know what you're gonna get."

But you know what? Even when you don't take a risk, there are no guarantees. And if you never take that risk, you'll never find out.

So we can risk a little bit and maybe get a lot (or miss the pool..ouch!) Or we can hang out in the box which is cozy (in real estate speak that means small ;) ) and never find out what could be.

Would you care to join me outside the box for a little bit? I don't know about yours, but mine's getting stuffy. Just remember, no matter what, you're never alone. :)

-Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment