Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day


As I type this, the Husband and 4/5 of the beasties are at the movies seeing an animated movie sequel that just opened on Friday. I'm not sure who was the most excited to go, but I know the 15 yo has mentioned it most (and he said many of his friends have seen it already.)


Father's Day and Mother's Day are big days in the house because the boys want them to be. They make their gifts and ask what we're doing, but to the Husband and I, it's more of a card holiday marketing ploy. We do the cards and we try to have family time and an enjoyable dinner, but going all out for gifts isn't really our "thing". Do you think neither of us have gifts as a "love language"? ;) My husband is all about the hugs and snuggles and I'm all about words of affirmation.


It's more important to us to show love and appreciation every day, not just once a year.


That being said, let me tell you how much I appreciate my husband because he is an incredible father. He teaches the boys to work hard and honor commitments, to show their feelings, to care about others and to love people where they are instead of judging them. He is the most accepting person I know and an incredible advocate, not only for his family but for anyone he thinks needs it. He's not afraid to speak up for what is right (even though sometimes it bites him in the behind and he ends up "falling on his sword" over it.) He shows through deeds, not just words, what it means to be a Christian, an imperfect, human Christian, but a Christian just the same.


Guess who he credits for these magnificent traits? His father and grandfather. He tells stories of their examples and what they taught him about life and how to treat people. I am thankful to have a great relationship with my FIL. He is great to talk to, even though we don't always see eye to eye. ;)


Sometimes I get impatient because life isn't what I thought it would be when I planned it oh so long ago. Sometimes I see the Husband's faults in 100x magnification and I don't always keep it to myself. Sometimes I forget to mirror his love and acceptance and yet, he shows incredible forgiveness and compassion.


So, on this Father's Day, I want to say "thanks" to the father of my passel of children. He is my partner and friend and I love him very much.


Wishing you a peaceful and blessed day.


-Peace




No comments:

Post a Comment