Friday, May 14, 2010

Feeling the Love

I did not run away yesterday. Whenever I joke about it, the Husband says he would find me. I think he'd be fine raising 5 boys solo, but he seems to find my presence necessary to keep things running what passes as smoothly. It's good to be needed...and when someone values your worth and what you do.

I was reading The Power of the Praying Parent by Stormie Omartian the other day. In it she was talking about how feeling valued and loved helps you to let the negative comments of others roll off more easily. In other words, if my kids feel valued, accepted and loved at home, they will be less likely to take it to heart when someone says something hurtful or demeaning.

I think that for the most part it is true. I don't think it means we affirm them always, giving false praise and an inflated sense of self-worth so that they begin to think they're the center of the universe, and that's not what she was suggesting either. Instead, it's about that unconditional love we try to give as parents. It's listening and taking an active interest and saying "I love you" and being emotionally present.

I think the reason I can be the person I am is because I have the partner I have. I could not be as at peace with the other struggles if I didn't have a man like the Husband walking alongside through it all, to affirm and value me as a woman, a wife and a mother.

I'm not perfect. I've said that before and I'll say it again and again. We don't always agree. BUT I know that no matter what else, I am valued and loved by him. The Husband does a pretty good job of loving me as Christ loved the church. (I, however, am not so good at following the first part of that statement. )

I pray that you feel valued and loved and that you can share that with your family too.

-Peace

1 comment: