Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Done...Almost..For Now

I'm not sure I really needed those carrots, but it did help clarify what I wanted and needed to do. I got to the task at hand! I have about two pages, give or take, left to write. The Husband was great about giving me the time and space I needed to get my work done. Thanks, honey!

First, I focused on my portion of a group project. Group projects are an interesting animal. You have to play well with others, negotiate, be assertive and trust others to pull their weight. It's a delicate balance. I have never done well with assertiveness. I either shy away completely so I don't make waves, (Like father, like daughter) or skip assertive and go right to aggressive witch with attitude. Apparently, I'm growing because I believe I was able to be assertive and trust myself. I also sought counsel from others I trusted to be sure I was on the right track. I know that this new found confidence will translate into other parts of my life as well as my future career.

After I sent my portion, I moved on to the second task. I had to write 13, yes, THIRTEEN, self-reflection papers. I consider myself fairly self-aware. I don't have a lot "stuff" hiding in the recesses of my mind and heart, but all that self-reflecting feels a lot like picking at emotional scabs. (Eeww, what a simile!) Nothing dark, but I did have some "A ha!" moments. I'm left with a sense of unrest, like I've muddied my waters a bit. I'd rather have left that sediment sitting at the bottom of the pond, but I did learn a little more about why I act and react the way I do.

Last week I started working out with the Wii Fit. It was a good time to improve my self-care habits. I really enjoy it because I can switch up the activities every few minutes and get a good workout. I did feel better physically and emotionally after exercising. (Unless the kids were at home. They gave me "pointers' which increased my heart rate in the wrong way. ;) )

Another way I took care of myself when I could have been a ball of stress was to pray and read the Bible. I finished up a Bible Study at church based on Lysa TerKeurst's book, Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl. This is an amazing book and I highly recommend it! Lysa TerKeurst has a wonderful down-to-earth way of speaking about her faith and about the Lord. She is an amazing witness, as are the women with whom I had the privilege of attending this study.

That has been my week. I was busy, but it was a good busy. I grew in many ways and did not let the stress eat at me. Oh and yes, I did read one of those "carrot" books. :)

I pray that as you face challenges and stress and all sorts of busyness, you find things to keep you motivated and grounded. Sometimes when I feel the most busy, it is a sign that I need to stop and breathe and pray.

-Peace

3 comments:

  1. I remember doing some reflections type of exercises when I was working on my grad. degree. Twenty-something years later, I'm not sure there is a lot of benefit with that kind of stirring and won't do it with my students now. I like a more positive psychology approach, personally. Sounds like you have a lot going on! What an exciting challenge you've taken on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GirlSavorsLife, what do you teach?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stacey-- I direct a Resource Center at a college-- disability services, advising, career services, study skills etc. My background is in higher education and counseling.

    Liked the lastest post too! I always blame old age when I do dingy things (which is a tad more often than what I'd like to acknowledge.)

    J

    ReplyDelete