Saturday, March 5, 2011

What Else is New?


It's Saturday.

I'm hanging in the living room with 5 kids, Lego bricks, and various and sundry other toys all over the place.

It's not snowing, though. That will come tomorrow. What? It's only March. Snow is still acceptable though undesired, even if I am dreaming of warmer weather...not too warm though.

I went grocery shopping this morning and the chatty check-out guy asked me if I had plans for the weekend. Do you think I should have asked if he wanted to go out? Bwahahahaha.

Weekends are laid back around here. Saturdays are usually lazy days, at least until baseball season begins, then all bets are off. For now, we run errands and let the kids laze about.

It's easy to get wrapped up in a "to do" list on a lazy day. I try to remember that the "to do" lists will still be around long after the kids grow up and that I can enjoy living in the moment.

One of the benefits of having a big age span of kids (16 years to 6 months) is that I get perspective. While each child is different, I have lived through (and survived to tell the tale of) many phases and even if we haven't gone through a phase yet, I "get" that the phases do pass and that I will be able to laugh about most things, or at least they won't be quite as painful with the passage of time.

So on this "lazy" Saturday when the Husband is running the eldest boy on all sorts of errands, I am surrounded by noise and clutter and things and special people that I could try to rush through or work around. Instead I am sitting in the midst of it, soaking it in.

Someday I will be able to write a sentence uninterrupted. Someday I will be able to sit and read in peace. But today, I am thankful for the chaos of my life. I am thankful for this time and these people and this imperfect life.

I pray that all of us can be content and thankful in the moments, whether they are ideal or messy.

-Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment