Saturday, March 12, 2011

That Hurts.

Sometimes I watch the news and my head hurts. Or my heart aches. Or both.

That's how I feel now, watching the devastation in Japan.

My aching is nothing compared to what those in the midst or those with loved ones in the midst are experiencing. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

Watching from the couch in the wee hours of this morning, I found myself thinking I should be changing my lifestyle. The environmental impact of this disaster is going to leave a mark. Even though I am on the other side of the world I have a responsibility, don't I, to care for the earth and help it heal much like I feel a heart tug at finding ways to ease the suffering for those directly impacted.

And that's when my head starts to hurt. Or maybe it's my conscience. It would be inconvenient to change some things and, well, annoying to change others. I can come up with justifications and excuses. I can say, I'm doing the best I can." Am I? Or am I just doing the best I can in my comfort zone? Is that good enough?

Today I'm thinking and praying and trying to figure out how I can step out and step up. To embrace who I am and who I am called to be in this world.

-Peace

1 comment:

  1. We as a family often discuss how it must make God's heart bleed to see what we've done to His home for us. He created this earth to be our home away from Heaven and we as a race are systematically destroying it.......

    ReplyDelete