Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Rally Cap



Last week *N*'s team was down a few, like 6, runs. One of the boys on the bench said, "Come on guys, rally caps!" A bench full of nine and ten year-olds turned their caps inside out..and started fighting for the win.

This morning I came downstairs and *E* was already in uniform...with his cap turned inside out. "Look mom, I have my rally cap on." The game hasn't begun so I'm not sure that's exactly positive thinking, but it got me to thinking.

Life has thrown us a bunch of lemons lately and I am getting tired of lemonade. The sweetness has come from recognizing the blessings of our children, our family, friends and our church.

When the van died as I pulled into my driveway on Thursday evening, I was starting to think my life was like a country song..well the car dying at least. The Husband hasn't left, we don't have a dog but you get the picture right? "Play the song backward" went through my head but...I don't know that I want to trade the blessings I do have for other things line up. Can't they all just line up? Right now? In my timing?

I whined about this to God. "Other people have their lives work out, why not us? I try to do what You want, Lord!" Oh I was whining and feeling a little (or a lot) sorry for myself.

This morning I looked at *E* and I turned to the Husband and grinned. "Maybe," I said, "We need to have a family rally cap."

What would that look like? I don't think we all need to walk around wearing baseball caps inside out, although it would be an interesting fashion statement. (I can see the 16 year-old rolling his eyes now.)

Perhaps it is a state of mind? A renewal of spirit; family team spirit and the Holy Spirit too. Perhaps our rally caps are strengthened by a little armor and a shield of faith.

Ephesians 6:13-18
13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people


Today, I will turn my proverbial cap inside out. I will keep smiling and praying. I will put on the armor of God and not lose hope. It's time for the family to rally.

Oh, and if you're wondering...the score of the game was 19-12. *N*'s team won. :)

-Peace

(Don't forget to click on the top mommy blogs button!)

No comments:

Post a Comment