Monday, July 11, 2011

I Can Do It Myself

That's a fairly typical preschool phrase, isn't it? They're learning about being independent and testing boundaries and yet they still have limitations, both in capability and in what they are allowed to do. Sometimes as a mom I have to say, "Yes, you can, but no, you may not." That does not make me popular, but I'm okay with that.

Lately I, too, have been saying, "I can do it myself." I do not think I'm superwoman and I am getting better at asking for help when I need it. I am learning that needing other people to back me up is not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength and wisdom.

What do I want to do myself? Make things. I mean, just because everything is mass-produced in a factory now, it doesn't mean I can't do it at home, right? (Well, except shoes. I cannot see myself picking up cobbler skills any time soon. LOL)

It started with the skirt I made a few weeks ago. I followed online instructions and it was a perfectly serviceable skirt but it was too full and long and I felt frumpy. My seam ripper and I spent a couple of hours (it took forever and three days, I think) and took apart the skirt, adjusted the pattern and remade the skirt. Now it is great! (I even got a compliment on the skirt when I was out shopping! That totally made my day!) Since then I made another skirt and I've been contemplating making more. It's a great casual summer skirt.

Now I look at clothes and I think about how it could be made at home by me. I am by no means an experienced seamstress but it's fun to plan and try and learn. I am only limited by....time. I like to do a lot of things. I realize that while I enjoy many things, I also have many obligations and people counting on me to read stories and pitch wiffle balls among other things.

I want to do things myself instead of having them done by a machine or a worker on another continent. I am not superwoman and I have not found a way to manipulate time so I am going to have to pick and choose and prioritize.

I want to do it myself. I can do it myself. I have a choice though. I can make it or not. I can spend an hour on facebook or I can spend an hour reading a book. I have the power and the freedom and the ability to choose. How awesome is that?

I am so thankful that I have the ability to do everything I can do. I try not to take it for granted. I do though. Sometimes in the midst of whatever I am doing, I will stop and think about it and I will say a prayer of thanks and praise. It is in the knitting and sewing and pitching of wiffle balls and reading that I see the way little blessings and opportunities in my life are so incredibly special.

I see that all the things I can do myself are actually done with the help of an amazing God.

Praying that we all can see the blessings in the everyday things.

-Peace

(You can click the TopMommyBlogs button to read lots of other great blogs!)

No comments:

Post a Comment