Sunday, January 16, 2011

Free Falling


"She's a good girl, loves her mama, loves Jesus and America too..." (Tom Petty)


So I was driving to church this morning, and this song came on the radio..and I got all teary. You might not get the connection but today Miss M was baptized and in my head it was all perfect. (Note I did not include that she loves her boyfriend because, to be clear, she's not dating until she's 40. She's got 5 older brothers so I've got back-up.) ;)


So this weekend we celebrated Miss M and our commitment to bring her up in the church, to teach her about Jesus and the Commandments and being a beautiful child of God. Fortunately, we're not in this alone, because it's not for wimps, being a parent. Miss M's amazing Godparents flew in for the weekend and there were grandparents and an amazing congregation to welcome her into the "family" that is all of those people in the pews.


As I was listening to the song, I thought about how we free fall into God's arms when we give it all over to God. I think if I can teach Miss M that faith in God will allow her to free fall into life, living it fully in His grace, sharing that message of love and freedom I will be doing a good job. I pray that God will give me the strength and wisdom I will need to be that kind of role model and example...and that all of the people who love her and welcome her into "the family" will be there when I will undoubtedly fall short.


Praying that we each can "free fall" into the grace of God.


-Peace

1 comment:

  1. My husband is a minister and I think what I love most about baptism services is the symbolism of the church family vowing to support the family and the parents. It's nice to know we don't have to go it alone in this world.

    ReplyDelete