Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Easy to Read

My face, that is.

Last week I had orientation for school and the instructor was saying that class participation was 20% of the grade and if he found you weren't participating he would stand next to you and pester you until you did speak.

And then he pointed at me. Moi! The man may be a pretty good psychologist because he read my expression very well, and I didn't realize I had reacted that strongly.

No, I do not like to speak in class. I do not like it, Sam I am.

And there I was, called out in front of a bunch of people I don't even know because of something in my body language or facial expression.

Beautiful!

More troubling to me than having to speak in class (because what if I have the wrong answer?!) is the fact that I am studying to be a counselor, one of those people who listens to other people and should have unconditional positive regard. Mostly, I do feel that way. I mean, I have opinions, but I do really try to love people where they're at, hate the sin and love the sinner, but I guess I don't have much of a poker face.

This could be a real problem. I hope that my genuine interest, my compassion and empathy can offset the lack of "poker face." At least I think I've broken the eye-rolling habit. ;)

Do you think I could write off Botox as a business expense? :)

-Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment