Sunday, October 3, 2010

Tulip

This is Miss M's first doll. My friend J gave this toy to her. Isn't she cute?
I named her Tulip...because she has tulips on her dress. Clever of me, no?
Today Tulip was talking to Miss M. I realized that I spend a great deal of time getting things done and addressing needs, but not really playing with Miss M. So Tulip and Miss M and I played today. Miss M likes to grab for the rings. I'm sure that I will eventually make up a song about Tulip, but I haven't gotten there yet.
I used to make up songs all the time. I liked to change the lyrics to popular songs and I liked to make up songs to sing to the boys. Somewhere along the way, I got so wrapped up in the busyness that I lost a little bit of my playfulness and while I could put it on my "to do" list- Write a Song for Miss M about Tulip, I think that would kind of defeat the purpose, don't you?
I guess it's time for me to be more intentional about playing, as strange as it sounds. Yes, everyone needs clean socks and nutritious food, they also need stories and songs and family dance night (even though that really mortifies the teenager..but he can hide in his room if he doesn't like it, right?)
Life is what happens while we're making other plans and while work needs to happen, I don't want to miss out on being truly present with my children and my husband because I have to fold some towels or bake a pie or because I'm wallowing in self-induced stress.
Not the example I want to set.
This season is short. Life is unpredictable. Love is a blessing.
-Peace

2 comments:

  1. Such a lovely and very true post! We must take time to enjoy life before it's gone and we are old and gray and full of regrets! Your kids will remember family dance night much more so than the time they had to wear dirty socks to school! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Goodwife, so far noone has worn dirty anything to school...but I wish I had a chef on staff. ;)

    ReplyDelete