Monday, October 25, 2010

Freeze!

Do you ever wish you could freeze time? Or do you wish it away?

I remember when I was younger, the days...hours...minutes...would drag on and on and on. A school week was FOREVER.

I swear, days are passing by faster in direct correlation to the slowing of my metabolism...and that is just plain wrong, don't you think?

I thought this weekend was going to crawl by. The Husband was away at a men's retreat, called, appropriately enough Mantime and I was solo with the kiddos. I encouraged him to go but I did face his departure Friday evening with a certain, healthy (from a self-preservation standpoint ;) ) amount of trepidation. One mom + six kids = could go either way.

Other than one minor injury (3 yo cut his finger with safety (not so safe?) scissors) and one hour of torture (me insisting they clean up their toys from the living room Saturday night) we had a very nice weekend. We didn't do much-- got pumpkins, took a pleasant ride and just hung out.

But it went fine and instead of me staring at the clock and doing the, "He will be home in 18 hours 32 minutes 7 seconds +/-" countdown, I was pleasantly surprised to see he was home "already". (The kids kept asking when he'd be back...maybe they love him more than me?! ;) )

Time did not slow down for the weekend and time does not slow down for the growing up of the children either. The baby girl is 8 weeks old today...my first baby boy is learning to drive and the other boys...well they keep growing too.

Sometimes I look at the clock and wonder where the time has gone and others I will the minutes to pass (is it bedtime yet?).

I guess the key is to embrace every day and live it to the fullest. Life goes on (Oh blah dee oh blah da...name that song ;) ) and we can choose to smile our way along or frown our way through, to be beacons of joy and love or ..well crabby, hopeless folks.

I pray you choose hope, even on gray days that drag on...or when they fly by and you think you blinked and missed it.

-Peace

1 comment:

  1. I tell The Youngun all the time I wish I could slam on the brakes! Life truly does go by so fast, if you don't slow down and enjoy it you'll miss it! I'm thankful that God has given me a sunny, positive outlook (most days that is) and that he joined me together with a positive man as well. That makes life so much more enjoyable and raising a positive child easier as well!

    ReplyDelete