Friday, May 27, 2011

How I Spent My Morning


Well, actually it was not even an hour but it definitely felt like the most productive part of the morning.


I made Miss M her first "pillowcase dress". Doesn't she look cute? I am not biased, not even a little bit. ;)

I didn't use a pillowcase, I just picked out fabric I liked. It was really simple to do. Yes, I did use a pattern; Simplicity, I think. The most time consuming part was the pressing for the seams but following the instructions (gasp! You can teach an old dog new tricks!) definitely gives a nice end result. At least I think it is a nice end result.

I was feeling pretty good about my accomplishment, perhaps you might even say I was feeling proud. I set out to do something and I did it. It came out the way it was supposed to and is quite wearable.

It did not take long for the negative self-talk to kick in though. It was only straight seams. It doesn't mean I'll be able to make anything else. What if someone else thinks it's hideous? Yes, it is only straight seams but I have to start somewhere and learning seems to be something I am good at. ;) I am sure that if I take time, follow instructions and try I will be able to make other things. If someone doesn't like it, they don't have to wear it, do they? I chose the colors and patterns because I liked them. They are vibrant like Miss M. They make me smile.

I am thankful for the time to try new things, for the support I receive from the Husband to take risks, for my physical abilities, for friends who encourage me and most of all for a God who created me to be me.

I seem to be something of a broken record of late but...make the time to try new things and see how you can use your gifts in new and different ways. It is fun, rewarding and freeing.

-Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment