Wednesday, April 27, 2011

People Are People

I am going to admit something right here for anyone who cares to read it...
I am not following the royal wedding hoopla.

I have nothing against it. In fact, I wish the couple a long and happy marriage. I wish the same to every couple that chooses to "tie the knot" regardless of birthright though.

I am not a "celebrity" person. I think that's what it boils down to. I guess I really took it to heart when my dad told me, "Everyone puts their pants on one leg at a time." (Even when I tried to find all of the ways in which people might not do that, and yes, I did do that. ;) )

I have nothing against anyone who is captivated by the spectacle and the fairytale. I'm not judging. I'm just not interested in the same way I don't really care what the famous are doing or eating or wearing or reading.

A famous talk-show host loving a book is not going to be the impetus for me to run to my local bookstore to buy it. (Seriously, back in the day when I worked in a bookstore people would come in searching for a book they saw on such a show. They didn't know what it was about but they wanted it because it was on her show and "maybe the cover is blue?") If I hear about a book and it sounds interesting I might look into it, but celebrity testimonials are of little value to me.

They're just people like you and me. They just might have a talent or heritage that gets them some airtime. It doesn't necessarily make them more discerning or equipped in all areas of life.

I am interested in the insight of others and value other's opinions, don't get me wrong. I do not exist in a vacuum.

I just...

I just believe that each person has intrinsic value and has a great deal to offer. We all put our pants on one leg at a time (God-willing). We all, each and every one of us, are God's children, precious and uniquely made.

Enjoy whatever entertains you. Embrace who you are and what interests you. Live life fully. Love the the people around you. You are valued and special.

-Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment