Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Hope and Friendship

Today I was trying to think of a funny mom moment to write about. It didn't jump right to my mind. It hasn't been a funny day. It has not been awful. I'm just not seeing the humor in the day. I wish I could.

The blessing in it all is that I have been blessed with wonderful phone conversations and e-mails and yes, even crackbook facebook has been a medium for support from many wonderful and different people in my life.

I am reminded again and again that my struggles and insecurities and worries are not mine alone. Not only am I not working through it in a vacuum and solo, but my "stuff" isn't as unique as I would like to think.

Isn't it good to know that in our misery we have company? And in that company we can see hope because others have walked it and are still walking! Not only do we have human, here on earth, company, but we have God always walking alongside us, or carrying us when it gets too rough.

Hope.

A few years ago, I thought the worst thing that could happen would be for the Husband not to get endorsed for candidacy. Surely life as I knew it would end. Well, life as I know it did end. I still don't know where we're headed or why we're walking this particular path BUT it was not the end of the world. Rebuilding has been a struggle, but it's not a crisis in the way it seemed when I thought about it. I can look back and say, even that rejection did not end my life or my faith and maybe it is a blessing in disguise, although I don't quite see how or why yet.

Now, I can honestly say I have not met anyone else living that particularly crummy thing, but I have met people who have faced rejection and loss and we all have the same choice; sit and stew or "find new cheese" as Dr. Spencer Johnson wrote in his book, Who Moved My Cheese? (For full disclosure, I've only read the children's version but I'm told the message is the same.) ;)

When I am trying to find a new path, make a new plan, soothe another child's boo boo, I am not alone. I have been embraced by friends and an amazingly-huger-than-any-box-you-can-find God.

In each day, I cannot always find side-splitting humor. I can find hope. It's so good to not be alone. Thank you and thank YOU.

"Friends"
Music by Elton John
Lyrics by Bernie Taupin
From the soundtrack Friends

I hope the day will be a lighter highway
For friends are found on every road
Can you ever think of any better way
For the lost and weary travellers to go

Making friends for the world to see
Let the people know you got what you need
With a friend at hand you will see the light
If your friends are there then everything's all right

It seems to me a crime that we should age
These fragile times should never slip us by
A time you never can or shall erase
As friends together watch their childhood fly

Making friends for the world to see
Let the people know you got what you need
With a friend at hand you will see the light
If your friends are there then everything's all right


-Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment