Sunday, June 19, 2011

Do You Hear That?

That bizarre un-sound in my home is silence. Well, okay, it's not silence. I hear the dishwasher thrumming away and the fan on the desktop sounds like a jet but there is no other noise from humans, particularly the human people that have DNA half mine and half the Husband's.

*N* is playing baseball and *J* went along to criticize cheer him on. *C* and *E* are reading in bed, *I* and Miss M are asleep.

Today is Father's Day and I wish my dear, unselfish and long-suffering husband had had a wonderful day. The problem is the kids were bickering and Miss M hasn't slept well in a couple of days (Urgent care today confirmed our fear that she has another double ear infection.)

After listening to their arguing and nonsense noise all morning, we banished *C* and *N* to the area of the basement we intended them to use as play space. They, on the other hand believe the whole basement is their space to pillage and plunder. Sooooo, we reached our limit and sent them down there to clean up their space because, "They will not play in the living room this summer!" I love these kids to pieces but honestly, a woman can only take so much!

Clearly we have not schooled them well in clean-up or organization. This is going to be a process, a learning process. They are not going to like it, but it's going to happen. The Husband told them he wanted all the Lego pieces off the floor. Didn't happen. It will.

This did bring to light another issue. I have bins of clothes in many sizes and styles hanging out there. It used to be more organized before the pillage but, I do not know if it will be used by the time it fits. Part of me wants to donate it all. But then...what if we need something and cannot afford to buy it new?

It's better for someone to use it now than for us to hoard it because we might use it later, right? I just need to free myself from the maybe; to trust that whatever needs we have will be met. I know that in my heart, but my head says, "If you get rid of this and need it later, what will you do?" I think that little voice has red, pointy horns, if you get my meaning. My heart and soul know that I can trust for our needs to be met, my brain is struggling to add it all up logically though.

So, in the silence of my evening, (although *E* has come down twice looking for books and because he's "lonely" without *N* in the room) I think I realize that I need to let go of the stuff a little more. (To be fair, the Husband said the same thing, but I like to think things through myself, I'm kind of stubborn and independent that way. Hey! He says he married me for my mind. :) )

Part of being thankful for what we have is caring for it (so clean up the Lego pieces!) and part of it is being open enough to share and not worry what tomorrow will bring.

Matthew 6:25 Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they. (NIV)


-Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment