Sunday, July 12, 2009

That's Who I Am.

1 Praying mom. One of millions of praying moms. That's who I am. That's where the title of this blog came from and that is what I do. I pray...a lot.

I do not, however, pray for patience. You might think that is a little foolish, having 5 sons and all. However, I read something in a devotional about prayers for patience being rewarded with opportunities to practice patience, and you know what? Honestly, I don't need any more opportunities to practice. (Actually, I do but that's another story and really, do I need all these growth opportunities? Don't answer that. ) I do think the author was spot on. At the times when I am tempted to pray for patience, my kids are probably pulling me in many different directions. I don't need patience. Instead I need to pray that God will empower and equip me to be the parent that God intends me to be with these children which are a blessing from God. Often when I think I need patience, what I really need as to reevaluate my priorities.

Someone once told me we need to wrap our children in prayer. I think she has a point.

Each day, I pray for their minds to be protected from evil, to remain healthy and strong. I pray for their mouths to speak words of truth and kindness, that they glorify God in word and deed. I pray that each of them will have hearts that are pure and love God. I pray for their bodies to remain healthy and strong, free from illness and injury. I pray that they find their calling in life, that they find joy and love. I also pray for particular issues they might be facing. God already knows what's going on, He knows the number of hairs on their heads, surely He knows if they're struggling with something. God loves each of us more than our human minds can ever comprehend. God listens. God cares and, while God may not respond in a way that is in keeping with my particular human plan, God always responds. Sometimes God responds with blessings and sometimes with opportunities for growth. Sometimes we're not happy to change sizes and the education we receive may be unwelcome, but God does use all this for good.

That's why I'm 1 praying mom.

-Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment